Fifteen persons have been quarantined at the accident and emergency ward of the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital after an Ebola Virus Disease scare in the hospital on Wednesday.
Those quarantined included nine nurses, one doctor, four health workers and one patient.
The EVD scare in the UCTH resulted from the death of a patient, who was said to have manifested the symptoms of the killer disease though the hospital authorities said the patient might have died of any Haemorrhagic fever.
The patient’s identity as of Thursday remained unknown.
Chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee of the teaching hospital, Dr. Queeneth Kalu, said the blood sample of the patient had been sent for testing while identified contacts had been quarantined.
At a press briefing in Calabar on Thursday, Kalu said that the National Centre for Disease Control, the Federal Ministry of Health and the Cross River State Government as well as the Department of State Services had been informed of the development.
She said, “On Wednesday October 7, 2015, we managed a patient who presented with symptoms mimicking viral haemorrhagic fever. Due to the remote chance of it being contagious, we have sent the blood samples for testing and quarantined identified contacts.
“Further information will be made available as soon as we receive the results of the samples sent for analysis.”
Also at the briefing, Deputy Chairman of the Medical Advisory Committee, Dr. Edet Ikpi, said all necessary precautions as prescribed by the World Health Organisation had been taken to forestall any eventuality. He however said that there was no cause for panic by members of the public.
Ikpi urged the media to be cautious of what was being reported as no case of EVD had been established.
The Federal Government on Thursday confirmed that it had despatch a team of medical experts to the UCTH.
The Director, Nigerian Centre for Disease Control, Prof. Abdulsalami Nasidi, told The PUNCH that the team was already on ground in Calabar.
“The NCDC team is on ground and containment measures are already being put in place. The samples are being tested and we should know by tomorrow (today). The Federal Ministry of Health is sending additional support on Friday (today),” Nasidi said.
Our correspondent, who went round the hospital in Calabar on Thursday, learnt that those quarantined were mainly medical personnel and others within the ward moments before the patient died.
Medical workers at the UCTH, who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity, alleged that the isolated persons had not been given food to eat almost 24 hours after they were quarantined.
One of the workers said, “Those isolated have not been communicated with in the last 24 hours. The ward is a no go area for us at the moment. The isolated persons are even threatening to set themselves free if nothing was done soon. They are hungry and have not eaten.”
The hospital had on Wednesday shut its accident and emergency ward after the death of the unnamed patient that gave rise to the Ebola scare.
The deceased was said to have been brought to the hospital from the Akpabuyo Local Government Area of Cross River State on Tuesday with high body temperature, vomiting, stooling and bleeding from the nose.
A source said the patient died shortly after samples were taken from him for investigation.
The source said, “A patient was brought in on Tuesday vomiting, stooling and bleeding from the nose and mouth. He had a high temperature. It was suspected that he had a haemorrhagic fever but it has not been confirmed. He died around 2pm and his body has been quarantined while the ward was shut down.”
The first Ebola case was reported in Nigeria on July 20, 2014 when the late Patrick Sawyer, a Liberian, flew into Lagos.
Sawyer, who was without Ebola symptoms at the time of his admission at the First Consultants Medical Centre, Lagos, infected two doctors, a nurse and a ward aide.
According to the Federal Ministry of Health, a total of 19 Ebola cases were established in the country –15 in Lagos and four in Port Harcourt. Seven deaths were also recorded while the outbreak lasted. One of the dead was Dr. Stella Adedavoh, a senior consultant, who treated Sawyer. Her death on August 19, 2014 was the fifth.
The World Health Organisation formally certified Nigeria free 42 days after Ebola was reported in the country.
- The future of television is mobile
- Afrostream now brings together the best of the mobile internet and the best of African content
- Afrostream’s unlimited SVOD streaming service is already available on all connected screens in France, Belgium, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Senegal and Côte d’Ivoire
PARIS, France, 6 October 2015/ -- Orange Digital Ventures (http://www.digitalventures.orange.com) announces its participation in the funding of Afrostream, a subscription video on demand service (SVOD) of African, African-American and African-Caribbean films and television series, alongside TheFamily, Cross Culture Ventures I L.P. and ACE & Company. Through its corporate fund, Orange will enable Afrostream to accelerate the development of its original and innovative service in Europe, Africa, the Caribbean and South America.
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, on Tuesday announced the 21 ministerial nominees contained in the list sent to him by President Muhammadu Buhari on Wednesday, September 30.
Saraki, who read the list around 10:45am after opening the sealed envelope, said the list contained the first batch of nominees and that the subsequent names, according to the president, would come shortly.
The nominees include Abubakar Malami (SAN), Abdurahman Bello Dambazzau, Aisha Jumai Al Hassan, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, Babatunde Raji Fashola, Adebayo Shittu, Solomon Dalong, Senator Chris Ngige, Rotimi Amaechi, and Chief Audu Ogbeh.
Others are Mrs. Amina Ibrahim, Dr. Osagie Ehaneri, Emmanuel Kachukwu, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, Eng. Suleiman Adamu, Mrs. Kemi Adeosun, Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu, Hon. Ahmed Musa
It is estimated that only around 1% of the world’s population have two or more passports, making dual citizenship an exclusive privilege
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa, 5 October 2015/ -- “No man is an island” is the theme of this year’s upcoming Investment Agenda, being held in Johannesburg on the 20th of October. Leading investors, asset managers and industry experts will assemble to examine the prevailing economic and political environment in Africa and its impact on investment strategy in 2016.
The meetings in Milan were arranged by the Italian Embassy in Nigeria and the Nigerian Mission in Italy. The Italian Embassy had been very helpful in contacting and arranging meetings with Italian companies who are interested in doing business in Nigeria.
The Nigerian Mission in Italy under the able leadership of Ambassador Martine arranged meetings with the NASCO Group who were magnanimous enough to lend its hotel meeting room for the use of the Commission. The Nasco Group Chairman Mr Attia Nasreddin and his Son, Mr. Hussain and daughter Ms. Yesmeen were on hand to welcome the NIPC team and the Nigerian Embassy and also provided meals and refreshment to the delegation and for the meetings.
The NIPC met with six companies in Milan individually and discussed with each extensively on their investment proposal and the role of the NIPC in making the business a reality and successful. The NIPC CEO clearly informed the companies that:
i. The NIPC is the Nigerian Investment Promotion Agency (IPA) empowered by to facilitate, encourage, coordinate and sustain (through aftercare) all investments into Nigeria.
ii. All business/investment entry into Nigeria must be registered with the Commission to benefit from the services of the Commission, enjoy incentives and aftercare.
iii. The government of President Mohammadu Buhari insists that all investments (local and foreign) must come through the Commission.
iv. The Government is determined to renew investor’s confidence in Nigeria.
v. The NIPC administers tax and other incentives and advocates for policy change or concessions where necessary.
vi. Market information on the various sectors is still being compiled in collaboration with various MDA’s and would be made available to all present respectively.
vii. Nigeria has vibrant free trade zones with special incentives and facilities which investors can take advantage of to grow.
viii. The Return on Investment in Nigeria is between 35-40% - one of the best in the world
ix. Nigeria is the largest market in Africa and also the gateway to West African Nations in the ECOWAS region.
x. Stressed the need for all the companies to formally send investment proposals to the CEO to enable the Commission facilitate their entry into the Nigerian market.
The Companies include:
1. Mr. Pierandelo Decisi- CEO, SOAG Europe SA: Automobile and Renewable Energy
2. Mr. Valerio Verderio-CEO Kinexia SpA: Renewable Energy, Waste Management
3. Mr.Emanuele Gianmaria Fusi -CEO General Strade: Road Construction(Bitumen ) and Automobile
4. Mr. Alberto Landini- CEO General Strade: Road Construction(Bitumen ) and Automobile
5. Mr. Attia Nasreddin- Chairman NASCO Group- Real Estate/Industrial Park
6. Mr. Renzo Modenese- CEO, Modenese Gastone- Furniture factory
The multiple bomb blasts on Friday night in Nyanya and Kuje, two suburbs of the Nigerian capital, Abuja killed 15 persons and injured 39
Mr Ishaya Chonoko, Coordinator of NEMA Abuja operations, who confirmed the figures, said two persons were killed in Nyanyaand 19 were injured, one of them critically.
The corpses of the two dead persons and one critically injured person were taken to the Asokoro General Hospital, he said.
He said the 18 other injured persons were receiving treatment at the Nyanya General Hospital.
“We have confirmed that 18 persons, who sustained injuries, are receiving treatment at the Nyanya General hospital.
“Two persons that were confirmed dead were taken to the Asokoro General Hospital,” he said.
Chonoko said that another blast, that earlier took place in Kuje Area council of the Federal Capital City , also recorded 13 dead and 20 injured. Blasts were reported at the police station and the town’s main market.
The FCT Commissioner of Police, Mr Wilson Inalegwu also confirmed the bomb blasts.
There has been no claim of responsibility for the bomb blasts yet, but they bore the imprimatur of the blood thirsty Boko Haram militants, targeting innocent Nigerians.
Daniella de Pauw returns to DHL to helm the Sub-Saharan Africa region effective from 19 August 2015
CAPE TOWN, South Africa, 2 October 2015/ -- DHL Global Forwarding (http://www.dpdhl.com), leading provider of air, sea and road freight services in Europe and Asia, has appointed Daniella de Pauw as Chief Executive Officer, Sub-Saharan Africa, with effect from 19 August 2015. In her new role, Daniella is based in Johannesburg and will be responsible for driving growth in the Sub-Saharan Africa region. Daniella currently reports to Thomas Nieszner, CEO, DHL Global Forwarding Europe.
Investors who attended and the persons in charge of Bloomberg L.P. showed significant interest for Africa and for the WAEMU in particular
NEW YORK, United States of America, 30 September 2015/ -- Under the High Patronage of His Excellency Dr. Thomas Boni YAYI, President of the Republic of Benin, the third edition of the "BRVM Investment Days" (http://www.brvminvestmentdays.org) took place on September 23rd 2015 in New York at Bloomberg L.P., the headquarters of the world leader of broadcasting of financial information.
This edition was highlighted by the presence of high-ranking personalities of the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) in particular the Prime Minister of Benin, Mr. Lionel ZINSOU; the Minister of State/ Minister of Foreign Affairs of Côte d’Ivoire, Mr. Charles Koffi DIBY, representing the Prime Minister of Côte d’Ivoire; the Representative of Mr. Christian ADOVELANDE, President of the West African Development Bank (BOAD); the President of the Boards of Directors of the BRVM and the DC/BR, Mr. Pierre Atépa GOUDIABY and the CEO of both central structures of the Regional Financial Market of the WAEMU, Mr. Edoh Kossi AMENOUNVE.
As the 8th Senate, on Tuesday, resumed from its 4th recess in 110 days, no fewer than 83 Senators passed a vote of confidence on the leadership of the embattled Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki, amidst rowdy session.
Despite Saraki’s trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal (CCT) over alleged corrupt practices and false declaration of assets, he initially got the backing of 84 of his colleagues. But as the Chairman, Senate Committee on Business and Rules, Babajide Omowarare (APC-Osun East), backed out, 83 Senators threw their weight behind Saraki.
The proposal titled: “Vote of Confidence on Principal Officers of the Senate,” in pursuant to Orders 42 and 52 of the Senate Standing Order 2015, had the names of 48 Senators from the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and 35 from the majority All Progressives Congress (APC).
Senator David Umaru (APC-Niger East), was the one who read the Vote Of Confidence motion on the floor of the Red Chamber.
See the full list:
1. Sen. David Umaru
2. Sen. Mohammed A. Ndume
3. Sen. Godswill Akpabio
4. Sen. Biodun Olujimi
5. Sen. Malam A. Wakil
6. Sen. Isah Hamma Misau
7. Sen. Emmanuel I. Paulker
8. Sen. Ogola Foster
9. Sen. Gershom H. Bassey
10. Sen. James Manager
11. Sen. Babajide Omowarare (Backed out)
12. Sen. Ahmadu Abubakar M.
13. Sen. Joshua M. Lidani
14. Sen. Achonu A. Nneji
15. Sen. Shehu Sanni
16. Sen. Salihu H. Egye
17. Sen. Mao Ohuabunwa
18. Sen. Mohammed S. Ohiare
19. Sen. Philip Aruwa Gyunka
20. Sen. Abdullahi Adamu
21. Sen. Samuel N. Anyanwu
22. Sen. George T. Sekibo
23. Sen. Monsurat J.A. Sunmonu
24. Sen. Jeremiah T. Useni
25. Sen. Ogba Joseph Obinna
26. Sen. Aliyu S. Abdullahi
27. Sen. Sunny Ogbuoji
28. Sen. Gilbert Nnaji
29. Sen. Bala IBN Na’allah
30. Sen. Philip Tanimu Aduda
31. Sen. Duro Samuel Faseyi
32. Sen. Kabiru Gaya
33. Sen. Muhammad Aliero
34. Sen. Bukar A. Ibrahim, CON
35. Sen. Abubakar Kyari
36. Sen. Rose Okoji Oko
37. Sen. Osinachukwu I. Ideozu
38. Sen. Matthew A. Urhoghide
39. Sen. Fatimat O Raji-Rasaki
40. Sen. Tijani Yahaya Kaura
41. Sen. Sabo Mohammed
42. Sen. Danjuma Laáh
43. Sen. Mohammed S. Lafiagi
44. Sen. Dino Melaye
45. Sen. Abdulrahman Abubakar
46. Sen. Bassey A. Akpan
47. Sen. Olanrewaju A. Tejuoso
48. Sen. Buruji Kashamu
49. Sen. Enyinnaya Abaribe
50. Sen. Samuel O. Egwu
51. Sen. David A.B. Mark\
52. Sen. Aliyu M. Wamakko.
53. Sen. Marafa Bachir Abba
54. Sen. Mohammed Hassan
55. Sen. Utazi G. Chukwuka
56. Sen. Francis Alimikhena
57. Sen. Emmanuel Bwacha
58. Sen. Joshua Chibi Dariye
59. Sen. Uche L. Ekwunife
60. Sen. Murray-Bruce Ben
61. Sen. Binta Masi Garba
62. Sen. Jang Jonah David
63. Sen. Ighoyota Amori
64. Sen. Ibrahim A. Gobir
65. Sen. Mohammed Goje, CON
66. Sen. Ahmed Rufa’i Sani
67. Sen. Ibrahim Abdullahi
68. Sen. Muhammad U. Shitu
69. Sen. Andy E. Ubah
70. Sen. Nelson A. Effiong
71. Sen. Rafiu Adedayo Ibrahim
72. Sen. Abdul A.M. Nyako
73. Sen. Theodore A. Orji
74. Sen. Olaka Johnson Nwogu
75. Sen. Abubakar S. Danladi
76. Sen. Yele Omogunwa
77. Sen. Stella Adaeze Oduah
78. Sen. Hope O. Uzodinma
79. Sen. John Owah Enoh
80. Sen. Peter Nwaboshi
81. Sen. Clifford A. Ordia
82. Sen. Donald Alasoadura
83. Sen. Mustapha Sani
84. Sen. Gbolahan Dada
LONDON, United Kingdom, September 21, 2015/APO (African Press Organization)/ --
For too long has African tourism narrative been restricted to a few destinations, and Safaris. A new online platform presents Africa to global travelers like they’ve never seen it before.
Hip Africa (hipafrica.com) the first and only definitive guide to the best spots to eat, sleep and play in Africa’s most sought after destinations, launched last week with 5 initial key cities: Lagos, Accra, Nairobi, Dakar and Johannesburg.
Hip Africa is set to take off as the go-to brand for high end travel in Africa, which transcends the old safari narrative, offering up the continent as a viable place for city breaks, great restaurants, arts and culture, and a swathe of boutique and luxury hotels.
Africa has emerged in recent years as one of the fastest growing regions for hotel development, with 50,000 hotels in the pipeline: a topic will be the subject of panel discussions, networking and deal making at the high profile Africa Hotel Investment Forum taking place in Addis Ababa 30th September – 1st October.
This activity is reflective of a wider trend: Africa’s emergence as the last tourism frontier, with a growing number of internationals visiting the continent year on year, and the upsurge of intra-Africa travel.
Global travel accounts for almost 10% of global GDP, and is an industry that enjoys year on year uninterrupted growth. Africa’s tourism take off is inevitable.
Hip Africa speaks to a sophisticated audience from Europe to the US, Asia, and most importantly across Africa itself – both business and leisure travelers.
Hip Africa showcases a carefully selected list of hotels and ‘hip spots’ - including restaurants, art galleries, museums, shopping spots and escapes - with high quality photography and editorially independent reviews.
It is London based, however its content is provided by a team of journalists, photographers, and movers and shakers on the ground across Africa, keeping readers in the know and up to date.
“We aim to inform our readers, and give them the practical tools for visiting and moving around what is arguably the most exciting continent in the world,” says Ruby Audi, the Ghanaian/British founder.
Hip Africa will soon be unveiling a number of new cities, on every corner of the continent, and will eventually cover over 30 destinations in 20 countries.
Wind: 3 mph